Posted on February 15, 2012 by Anne
This week, Ada Polla, the owner of Alchimie Forever skincare, is our guest blogger! Read below for her expert tips to keeping your skin bright and nourished year-round!
While it is 60 degrees in Washington, DC today, it was in the 20s last week, and my skin is feeling it. While I love winter, my skin doesn’t. If you are like me, you might be experience excessive dryness, flakiness, discomfort, roughness, itchiness, and redness. Over the years, I have learned some useful tips to help my skin remain calm, bright, and nourished, regardless of the outdoor temperatures. I hope these help your skin too!
- Switch to a cream-based cleanser. Every step in your skin care routine should be about moisture and nourishment, including your cleansing step. Switch away from your gel cleansers, to a nice milky, creamy cleanser (like our Alchimie Forever Excimer gentle cream cleanser, my personal favorite).
- No matter the cold outside, avoid showers or baths that are very hot. Hot water will break down the skin’s natural lipids and leave it even dryer. Limit your bath or shower to 5 minutes, and never leave the house with wet hair (your scalp will thank you!).
- Switch to a heavier moisturizer. Even if you are combination or oilier in the summertime, your skin needs extra nourishment during the colder months. The best-selling of our three moisturizers between November and March is always our Kantic+ intensely nourishing cream.
- If even with a cream cleanser and a more hydrating cream your skin is still uncomfortable, dull, and dry, add in a cream moisture mask, and leave it on for as long as you can. I am applying our Kantic brightening moisture mask almost on a daily basis these days…
- Combat the air’s dryness with a good humidifier. A low-cost alternative is to place a bowl of water in the rooms you spend most time in. As the water slowly evaporates, it will add moisture to the air.
- Give your hands a hand! Never go out in to the cold without gloves. (And avoid wool as it is so rough or cotton, which traps moisture; my favorite gloves are in cashmere). Apply your favorite hand cream frequently, at least following every time your hands are in water. (In case you are wondering, I keep my 532nm antioxidant relief for hands and feet everywhere at home and in the office, even in my car).
- Watch for over-exfoliation. In particular if you are experience flakiness, do not pick. Avoid strong grainy scrubs, look for nourishing, gentle, exfoliators, such as our Excimer+ gentle antioxidant refining scrub.
- Take care of your lips. Don’t lick them, and don’t pick at them if they are chapped. Keep soothing lip balms in your purse, car, and desk drawer, and reapply as necessary (I don’t believe reapplying makes your lips get addicted to your lip balm…)
- Don’t forget sunscreen. Even if the sun is not shining, and you are not in a bathing suit, those pesky UV rays are still attacking your skin. Remember also that sun is double strong when reflected on snow, so up your SPF before hitting the slopes.
- Last but not least, remember beauty is internal too. Hydrate with calming teas, and eat “clean and green.” This is true year round of course, but somehow I always have an easier time drinking water and eating salads when my closet is full of dresses and short skirts…
Filed under: Bath & Body, Organic & Natural, Vitamins & Nutrients | Tagged: Alchimie Forever, cleanser, daily, moisturizer, skincare, tips | Leave a Comment »
Posted on January 6, 2011 by Anne
January is the perfect time to get our acts together; a fresh start when we can all get into the habits that will make the upcoming year an even better one than the year before.
Here are five beauty habits that will keep you looking and feeling beautiful in 2011:
Fresher Feet (1): We challenge you to a weekly pedicure. With OPI’s tropical scented scrubs and masks, five minutes in the shower keeps feet looking professionally pedicured all winter long. Nothing makes you feel more beautiful than perfect soft and smooth feet in strappy shoes!
Stronger Nails (2): Thirty seconds every morning with a clear coat of Dabu Nail Hardener not only keeps your manicure looking shiny and fresh, but protects nails from breaking, cracking or splitting. Stronger, more beautiful nails only takes a coat a day!
Younger Skin (3): Wash your face every night with a soap that does the hard work for you. Cor soap’s proven formula keeps skin glowing with a simple wash before bed. Three minutes before bed and twenty years off your skin. Definitely worth your time!
Healthier Hair (4): Pamper your hair in 2011 with a decadent hair oil like Leonor Greyl’s Palm Oil (Huile de Palme). A pre-shampoo treatment intended to infuse your hair with moisture and protect it from damage. A perfect treatment for anyone who’s hair suffers from heat damage, over styling or winter dryness.
Sexier Smile (5): The very best of any at home whitening treatments, Supersmile will help you achieve the perfect super-white sexy smile in 2011. An easy and quick routine just like brushing your teeth at night will keep your smile more beautiful than ever!
Filed under: Bath & Body, Hair, Health, Make-Up, Nails, Vitamins & Nutrients | Leave a Comment »
Posted on March 20, 2009 by Anne
“Are you tired, run-down, listless? Do you poop out at parties? Are you unpopular? The answer to all your problems is in this little bottle. Vitameatavegamin. Yes, Vitameatavegamin contains Vitamins, Meat, Vegetables and Minerals. Yes, with Vitameatavegamin, you can spoon your way to health. All you do is take a great big tablespoonful after every meal. Mmmmmmm….. It’s so tasty, too!”
( I Love Lucy- May 5th, 1952)
Lucy definitely had a way of making everything funny. But when it comes to choosing the right vitamins, it’s no laughing matter. With hundreds of brands, effects and concoctions, it’s not easy finding the right combination for your needs.
Vitamins are a great way to supplement your diet and exercise regiment, but which ones are right for you? Here at Beauty of a Site, we’re dedicated to providing you with fortified information regarding the vitamins we sell. Here are a few supplement-based products we recommend:
Nioxin Recharging Complex
Phythophanere provides you with a plethora of nourishing vitamins, essential fatty acids and antioxidants that promote healthy hair growth, strengthen nails, illuminate skin and fortify lashes. To view a detailed outline of Phytophanere click here!
Phytosolaire is specifically designed for those of you who enjoy the sun! This unique supplmentary formula is specifically designed to aid in sun-tanning as well as burn prevention. To learn more about Phytosolaire click here!
Nioxin Recharging Complex Vitamins are comprehensively awesome and target hair, nails, and skin rejuventation. To learn more click here!
Filed under: Vitamins & Nutrients | Tagged: Health, nioxin, phyto, supplements, vitamins | Leave a Comment »
Posted on February 21, 2009 by Anne
Vitamin C possesses definite, scientifically validated virtues that really do prevent and reduce wrinkles as well as rejuvenate skin, but what products really work? Why do some products with Vitamin C not work as effectively as others.
Well, here are some interesting facts that may help you choose your next skin care product:
- Vitamin C is an indispensable component of collagen synthesis – the most important structural element in skin that aids in wrinkle prevention and elasticity.
- Vitamin C is an all natural antioxidant that helps skin protect itself against free radicals.
- Vitamin C is easily oxidized because of its instability. This means that products containing Vitamin C should be tightly sealed to ensure its potency.
- You can evaluate the oxidation of your Vitamin C containing skin care products by checking for yellowing of the product.
So next time you’re looking for a lotion or a topical wrinkle cream keep these tips in mind. We recommend checking out products like H2T Body Moisturizing Complex.
Filed under: Health, Vitamins & Nutrients | Leave a Comment »